Summer is just around the corner and so is the time to wear your bathing suit. Are you ready? Here is a rundown of what you can expect at your next waxing appointment. (And what you can do to make it a more pleasant experience).
How far in advance should I wax?
One day before is sufficient. However, if your skin is sensitive, opt for two days in advance.
What kind of wax should I get?
You decide on a bikini, French or Brazilian wax:
Bikini – the most modest bikini wax that begins at the inside of the legs and ends a little farther in from the bikini line.
French – extends about two finger breadths in from the bikini line.
Brazilian – everything in the bikini area from front to back is removed. The bare-it-all wax!
What can I expect during my treatment?
- The waxing is done in a private room and disposable underwear is provided for your convenience.
- The esthetician will ask what kind of bikini wax you were interested in. Make sure you communicate with your esthetician to the best of your ability to ensure the results you want.
- If your hair is more than ¼ in length, the esthetician will trim it down. Then, she will apply powder on the area to be waxed.
- Wearing gloves, the esthetician will apply warm wax over the hair with a wooden waxing stick. Then, she will apply a disposable wax strip over the still-warm wax, pressing firmly. When the wax has cooled, she will hold your skin taut (or ask you to do so) and pull the strip off in the opposite direction of your hair growth. She will continue working in sections until all hair is removed.
- The esthetician will tweeze any stray or too short hairs. Finally, she will spread soothing lotion over the waxed area to help calm the skin.
Appointments usually last between 15 to 30 minutes.
What can I do before waxing to ease the pain?
There are several things you can do!
- Do not tan 24 hours prior to your treatment.
- Exfoliate area the day before.
- Trim hair to ¼ inch if it is fine; ½ inch if coarse.
- Clean bikini area right before your appointment if possible. Use warm water and do not apply lotion, moisturizers or creams on the bikini area after washing.
- Be comfortable – wear loose clothing.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine and sugar for at least two hours prior to treatment. Just drinks lots of water!
- If you wish, take an aspirin, Advil or Tylenol approximately 30-45 min before your wax.
- Ease into a Brazilian wax by trying a bikini wax first.
- Be on time!
During the wax?
- Breathe deeply and relax.
- Communicate with your esthetician!
- Use a product such as PFB Vanish – a moisturizing after wax serum (available at our location).
- Avoid wearing tight clothing.
- Wait at least a few hours before going into a hot shower, sauna or public swimming pool.
- Do not exercise immediately after waxing.
- Avoid direct sunlight or tanning beds for 24 to 48 hours.
- Wait about 3-4 weeks before your next waxing appointment.
- Do not shave in-between waxes as it disrupts your hair’s growing cycle.
- Avoid ingrown hairs (a possible side effect) by exfoliating regularly and using very light moisturizers.
We hope these tips prepared you for your next waxing appointment! Visit us for more information or call at (416) 926-9303 to book an appointment!